Skip to main content

Political Power at Any Price

You may or may not have heard that 30-year Republican Party member, Arlen Specter, changed parties today and became a Democrat. That's sortof ironic since most Republicans have felt he was parading around as a Democrat for most of his political life anyway. His move, makes him the new poster boy for everything that is wrong with politicians. He said, "I have found myself increasingly at odds with the Republican philosophy and more in line with the philosophy of the Democratic Party." That is the most honest thing he has said in years. The truth is however, that the said "increase" started 29 years ago, not recently. In fact, he said just a few short weeks ago that he would never leave the Republican party. Aside from that outright lie, it is important to understand why he really left the party.

I lived in Pennsylvania for almost seven years, and it is largely a conservative state. But, as is true of many states, the conservative voters that dominate actual square miles of PA are outnumbered by the largely liberal voters in the big cities (Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in this case). I have no problem with that. It is what it is. But Sen. Specter has been the worst kind of RINO (Republican In Name Only) for as long as I can remember. Every once in a while he'd actually behave like a conservative, but was highly unreliable when his conservative constituency wanted him to take a stand (for example, his position on the bailouts). Why the Republicans in PA tolerated him for as long as they have is totally beyond me. He has used the Republican Party for their support and fundraising to suit his own agenda. And now the truth comes out. 

Specter was about to have his clock cleaned in the Republican primary for his re-election bid. He was polling behind by more than 20 points. So rather than answer to HIS constituents and face the people that have supported him for years, he took the politically safe and selfish route and changed parties. "I am not prepared to have my 29 years' record in the United States Senate decided by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate", stated the "honorable" Senator. Oh, really. I thought that elected officials were supposed to answer TO the electorate that they profess to represent! Apparently that was okay for 29 years, but now that they're finally prepared to hold him accountable, he denigrates and belittles them. The arrogance is breathtaking.

It doesn't really matter if you are a Democrat or a Republican, this is the kind of behavior that makes the stench of Washington DC reach to the heavens. The idea that these politicians are better than us, the people who employ them, is beyond insulting. Arlen Specter has proven once again, that most politicians will have power at ANY price. There is nothing illegal or technically wrong with switching parties, it is a free country. And it really won't change much in the Senate, his votes will largely be liberal, as always. But whether it is moral and has a shred of integrity is entirely another matter. He has sold his soul to keep his power. I wonder how much longer we will keep people like him in Washington.

Comments

  1. Interesting that you commented on this. It has been a source for contemplation of my own today. Thanks for the insights Lori. I enjoy reading you points of view. By the way, did you see that Camie referenced your post on "taxes" on the www.hersheywardcouponclippers.blogspot.com ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoy your posts.
    Someone I know declares himself "independent" although he votes Republican every time. After thinking about it, I think I'll start doing the same until something better comes along. I don't want to be attached to either party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. What did you think about Ron Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Camie and Suzette. I appreciate the feedback.

    I kindof have mixed feelings about Ron Paul. He says a lot of things I like when it comes to following the Constitution and fiscal matters. Unfortunately, Libertarians start to sound a little wacky when it comes to foreign policy matters--they are strict isolationists. Although there are days when that starts to sound better and better too. I think it's impractical in the day and age we live in though and we have to be engaged internationally.

    I agree with you that I am equally disgusted with career politicians in both parties. There's nothing wrong with voting as an Independent, what matters is that you vote. I think the key that we are missing in the political process is in the Primary process. Far too often, we (and I include myself because I'm guilty of this too) don't get involved in the political process until the General Election. By then it's too late; the candidates have been chosen for us. We need to become involved in the process during the Primaries so that we are choosing the kinds of candidates that will represent us and not their own interests.

    We are firmly entrenched in a two-party system, good or bad, it's what we have. I would prefer to see high-quality candidates within the two parties than divide the vote three ways. It is unlikely that an Independent candidate will ever win a significant political office, instead it divides the vote further. This is exactly what cost George H.W. Bush re-election; Ross Perot took enough votes away from him that it allowed Clinton to win.

    Ironically it is the Primary process that would have finally rooted Specter out of office in PA, for his lack of representing the interests of his constituency, but he's too much of a coward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So What Can We Do?

I have spent a lot of time picking apart the liberal plan for reforming health care in the U.S. I do not have any confidence in a government that cannot run anything cheaply or efficiently. They are the last people I would trust to manage one sixth of our economy--I wouldn't trust them to do my lawn care. So, it's high time to talk about what can and should be done instead. Here are some ideas that would go a long way to lowering the cost of health care for everyone without a government takeover of health care. 1) Individual responsibility: As with anything in life, when we are directly responsible for the outcomes of our decisions, we are better for it, individually and as a society. That responsibility includes being accountable for our life choices, the amount of risks we take and paying our bills. It seems like a no-brainer doesn't it? Unfortunately, we have gotten away from that thinking in reference to our health care. If I choose to have multiple sexual partners, why

Flawed Arguments and Stubborn Facts

My last post addressed some of the things we can do to improve health care without government involvement. I got a few comments, but wanted to address a couple in particular. These comments brought up issues that are worthy of response. One of the comments is as follows: " I would like to direct your attention to the writers first stated premise - there is no trust in the government with one sixth of our economy. My question is, how did it become one sixth of the economy? With every step of a 'free' enterprise system being everything but free, freedom is placed upon the back of those who are a dwindling base of contributors to support the greediness of astronomical proportions and the government is the recipient of easy target fingerpointing. If we insist on blaming government for a sick system, we are trying to fix the wrong problems." My initial reply was the following: "There are many causes of the problems in medical care which I have also written about on m

Why Ask Why?

To reason and to choose are the great intellectual gifts that are supposed to elevate us above the animal kingdom. Failing to implement reason or comprehend that choice leads to consequence has become the worst pandemic in the world...far worse than COVID. That failure has left us living with unprecedented fear, anger, division and tribalism. In my view, the only way we can begin to make a positive move away from such things is to ask basic questions like "Why?" I have so many questions, that I hardly know where to begin. Some of the answers I know. Some, I don't. And some, I can hazzard a pretty good guess. It is vital to our survival as a nation and as a world of nations that we start asking more questions and demanding answers from those who pretend to lead us. Are we sure of their motiviations or are we too lazy to care? Are we ignoring the nagging concerns that come to our minds in exchange for solidarity or political correctness? Are we afraid to ask questions becau