Skip to main content

Real Hope

The tremor you felt last night at around 10:36 Eastern time wasn't an aftershock from any number of recent earthquakes. It was me, jumping up and down in my family room for joy. But more importantly, it was politicians everywhere falling out of their chairs. The world of the political incumbent, from any political party, was rocked last night as the unthinkable came to pass.

If you have been watching the political landscape recently, you know that Scott Brown won the special election for the vacant Senate seat in Massachusetts. He ran with an "R" behind his name, but seems to hold no deep allegiance to the Republican Party. A huge part of his campaign was his up-front and vocal opposition to the Health Care reform before the legislature. He also professes to be largely independent and ready to serve the citizens rather than his own purposes. I will wait for him to fulfill those promises and watch carefully, reserving judgment until the deeds match the words.

But the win was stunning for many reasons. The most amazing thing to me about this election is that he won a seat that Ted Kennedy held for decades; a seat the Democrats assumed to be a given. He won the seat that Kennedy seemingly held for a lifetime, while trying to fulfill his lifelong "mission" to pass socialized health care in the U.S. But Brown won anyway, in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans 3 to 1. He won in a state that hasn't sent a Republican to the Senate since 1972. He won in a state that already has government health care, but is suffering mightily under the burden of high taxes and unemployment.

Tonight, for the first time in almost two years I have hope--not the hollow kind of politically promised Obama-hope. I'm talking about real hope; hope that stems from faith in the citizens of this country; hope in our realization that we have let the government slip out of our control, to our everlasting shame. I have hope that it's not too late. Victories like this one, as unlikely as it is, will help many of us believe that we can fix our problems and we must. That fix starts with electing better people--people that believe in our Constitution and the power of the vote; people that believe in our nation, its founding principles and our future. I have hope that we will stop electing the arrogant, self-serving thieves who scarcely acknowledge all the "stupid" people in the masses, and start electing public servants and statesmen again. I hate to confess that I have been discouraged of late and for that reason haven't had the stomach to blog. But the hope I now feel is the like the first warm rays of spring sunshine after a very long winter. IF we as citizens stay the course, we may yet salvage our inheritance. In spite of all our flaws and failings, our system still works. We still have the best form of government ever known to man and its preservation is a worthy cause if ever there was one. I have hope that many of us have learned some painful lessons and that this victory is the first of many lessons we will teach during the elections in November.

Comments

  1. Hooray! I went to bed before I knew the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The results were the reason I logged on so early this morning! HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hip Hip Hooray! I was watching all day yesterday and was so happy to wake up to the wonderful news! Prayers work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew.... at least for the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So What Can We Do?

I have spent a lot of time picking apart the liberal plan for reforming health care in the U.S. I do not have any confidence in a government that cannot run anything cheaply or efficiently. They are the last people I would trust to manage one sixth of our economy--I wouldn't trust them to do my lawn care. So, it's high time to talk about what can and should be done instead. Here are some ideas that would go a long way to lowering the cost of health care for everyone without a government takeover of health care. 1) Individual responsibility: As with anything in life, when we are directly responsible for the outcomes of our decisions, we are better for it, individually and as a society. That responsibility includes being accountable for our life choices, the amount of risks we take and paying our bills. It seems like a no-brainer doesn't it? Unfortunately, we have gotten away from that thinking in reference to our health care. If I choose to have multiple sexual partners, why

Flawed Arguments and Stubborn Facts

My last post addressed some of the things we can do to improve health care without government involvement. I got a few comments, but wanted to address a couple in particular. These comments brought up issues that are worthy of response. One of the comments is as follows: " I would like to direct your attention to the writers first stated premise - there is no trust in the government with one sixth of our economy. My question is, how did it become one sixth of the economy? With every step of a 'free' enterprise system being everything but free, freedom is placed upon the back of those who are a dwindling base of contributors to support the greediness of astronomical proportions and the government is the recipient of easy target fingerpointing. If we insist on blaming government for a sick system, we are trying to fix the wrong problems." My initial reply was the following: "There are many causes of the problems in medical care which I have also written about on m

Why Ask Why?

To reason and to choose are the great intellectual gifts that are supposed to elevate us above the animal kingdom. Failing to implement reason or comprehend that choice leads to consequence has become the worst pandemic in the world...far worse than COVID. That failure has left us living with unprecedented fear, anger, division and tribalism. In my view, the only way we can begin to make a positive move away from such things is to ask basic questions like "Why?" I have so many questions, that I hardly know where to begin. Some of the answers I know. Some, I don't. And some, I can hazzard a pretty good guess. It is vital to our survival as a nation and as a world of nations that we start asking more questions and demanding answers from those who pretend to lead us. Are we sure of their motiviations or are we too lazy to care? Are we ignoring the nagging concerns that come to our minds in exchange for solidarity or political correctness? Are we afraid to ask questions becau