Skip to main content

Fiction is Reality



I started reading Ayn Rand's renowned book, "Atlas Shrugged" last week. I am almost finished and can't decide if it's good that I have opened this can of worms or not. Don't get me wrong, I think it's quite possibly one of the best books I have ever read. If you haven't read it, you should. Her book is a treatise on what happens when people surrender their agency to the government. It is enlightening and agonizing to read all at once. Every parent in this country should require their high school-aged children to read it (perhaps with a little editing--Mom and Dad should read it first).

There was a time in the 60's or 70's when someone could have read her book and said, "Nah, that will never happen." And they would have slept comfortably that night. But, rather than reading a book written in 1957, I feel like I'm reading today's headlines or the headlines of the very near future. I'm not sleeping well. The utter futility that Rand described in a society that had become a sewer of entitled, mindless, unaccountable, brainwashed non-achievers is painfully apparent in far too many of our citizens of today. The real, almost physical pain that is caused when you are forced to interact with people like that is described masterfully in her book. I finally understand why I would almost rather bathe in acid than go to the post office. I had a very real "Who is John Galt Moment" there today.

I ordered a nice, hardbound book some weeks ago and paid for "shipping and handling". When the book arrived in my mailbox yesterday the box was crushed and torn. I could see through the damaged packaging that a large section of pages had been crushed as well. Having had prior experience with the postal "service" before, I knew that I could not open the box or I would be responsible to pay for the return postage. So I took it to the post office exactly as I received it. Being the cockeyed optimist that I am, I actually thought they would provide a modicum of customer service. (Insert guffaws of drunken laughter here.) Instead, I got what I should have expected. "Well...I can stamp it as received as damaged and you can refuse it and send it back".

"But, I want the book. I just don't want it damaged."

"Then you'll have to contact the publisher and see if they'll send you another one."

"But if I open it to get the contact information, then you will make me to pay to send it back."

"Yes."

"So, even though the postal 'service' damaged it, I would still have to pay for you damaging the book."

"Well, there's no way to know when it was damaged, it could have been crushed or something before we got it."

"But, regardless of how it was damaged, we know I didn't damage it, but I am still responsible to pay to ship it back. There's nothing you can do."

"No, it's against regulations. It's not my fault."

At this point my patience was gone. I said, "So, it's against regulations to provide customer service. It's no wonder you're losing money." And I left.

This battle is not yet over and I will win, trust me. But, will someone please explain why a service that is mandated by the Constitution is so lousy? Okay, I will. When any entity is run by people of which nothing is required, least of all accountability, this will always be the result. Not only is the Postal "Service" a government bureaucracy, it is unionized. The postal employee's job security has nothing to do with the kind of service they provide. They can be incompetent donkeys and will still get their breaks on time, their great benefits package and a fantastic pension. The only time their jobs are at risk is when some other government bureaucrat realizes that even the postal service is bleeding so much red ink that they have to make cuts somewhere.

Let's imagine this scenario at FedEx or UPS. They would have fixed it on the spot or they would have lost a customer. It would have been a wholly different outcome. However, the USPS has no competition which has also given them a false sense of security. I think it's time to privatize the postal service and give some actual meaning to the word service. But, I digress.

This is only a small example of the kind of service we get from government entities. You all know, you have all experienced it. It is at these moments that I am dumbfounded that anyone in this country would want our government to take over healthcare. If they can't look at my experience with the postal "service" and see down the road a few years to where our medical system will be, then I suspect they may be one of the mindless masses in "Atlas Shrugged". In fact, I wonder if the liberal progressives haven't used her book as a blueprint to socialize the world.

Ayn Rand described as "looters" and "murderers" those who spend their existence creating nothing, producing nothing, thinking nothing and then vilifying those who do. The productive, creative, thinking people were accused and labeled as the "greedy rich", as the "selfish industrialist", the "slave drivers" and as those who didn't care about the suffering of humanity. Does any of this sound familiar? A large cross-section of our society has become the Looters. They will spew hate and venom at those who work hard and succeed while at the same time demanding a share of the fruits of their labors. It is a sickening attitude with sickening consequences.

The producers go on strike in Rand's book as their only means to combat this tide of filth. I have often secretly fantasized about the medical community going on strike. Oh, I know it's impractical and will never happen. But imagine a day when the doctors are tired of being blamed, accused and vilified by those who demand perfection and endless sacrifice, and they walk off the job. I would take no delight in the death of anyone. But imagine a day without doctors. Imagine if they all said, we will not be your slaves and we will not work on your terms anymore. What would people do? Throw them in jail?

When did we get to a place where there is shame is making an honest living of any kind? Who told the shiftless and lazy that they have a right to fruits of other's labor? When did government become the instrument to determine what is fair? Why is it appropriate to hate and criticize those who are willing to risk years and their own capital to achieve? What used to be looked up to and admired--success and hard work--is old-fashioned and selfish. At the same, being famous for being famous is revered and fed daily like the appetite of an obese binge-eater.

We are at one of the most pivotal moments in our nation's history. If we do not turn back the tide of the Looters, we will become their slaves for as long as we can stand it. Elections have consequences and the results of the last one have been more than dire. Four more years of Barack Obama will seal our fate and we will become the gray, hopeless characters that dominate Rand's book. I cannot survive in a world like that. It will kill me.

Comments

  1. Well stated Lori! I guess this has become a must read book on my list....I think...;) I agree with your great explaination of the Lazy vs. the "Rich". As we call it the "Entitled" portion of society makes me want to throw up!!!! I was at WalMart the other day after a day of "Leave No Trace" cleaning up with my kids to trying and beautify our community. One of these "Entitled" of society which I could clearly see were the ones who voted for our last President in his glory - nicely dressed - fancy car, fancy clothes (all of which was paid for I'm sure by somone else's hard work) got in their car the same time as I. Well, I unloaded the kids, the groceries and was returning my cart when I heard a bunch of stuff hit the pavement. I turned back around to see if my kids had dropped something and it was this "lady" who had got in her car, seen her pile of garbage on her floor and literally KICKED IT OUT HER DOOR and left it there on the pavement as her husband drove off!!!!! I wanted to yell at them and tell them to get back and clean it up, but knew it would do no good. The garbage can was less than 20 feet away!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So What Can We Do?

I have spent a lot of time picking apart the liberal plan for reforming health care in the U.S. I do not have any confidence in a government that cannot run anything cheaply or efficiently. They are the last people I would trust to manage one sixth of our economy--I wouldn't trust them to do my lawn care. So, it's high time to talk about what can and should be done instead. Here are some ideas that would go a long way to lowering the cost of health care for everyone without a government takeover of health care. 1) Individual responsibility: As with anything in life, when we are directly responsible for the outcomes of our decisions, we are better for it, individually and as a society. That responsibility includes being accountable for our life choices, the amount of risks we take and paying our bills. It seems like a no-brainer doesn't it? Unfortunately, we have gotten away from that thinking in reference to our health care. If I choose to have multiple sexual partners, why

Flawed Arguments and Stubborn Facts

My last post addressed some of the things we can do to improve health care without government involvement. I got a few comments, but wanted to address a couple in particular. These comments brought up issues that are worthy of response. One of the comments is as follows: " I would like to direct your attention to the writers first stated premise - there is no trust in the government with one sixth of our economy. My question is, how did it become one sixth of the economy? With every step of a 'free' enterprise system being everything but free, freedom is placed upon the back of those who are a dwindling base of contributors to support the greediness of astronomical proportions and the government is the recipient of easy target fingerpointing. If we insist on blaming government for a sick system, we are trying to fix the wrong problems." My initial reply was the following: "There are many causes of the problems in medical care which I have also written about on m

Why Ask Why?

To reason and to choose are the great intellectual gifts that are supposed to elevate us above the animal kingdom. Failing to implement reason or comprehend that choice leads to consequence has become the worst pandemic in the world...far worse than COVID. That failure has left us living with unprecedented fear, anger, division and tribalism. In my view, the only way we can begin to make a positive move away from such things is to ask basic questions like "Why?" I have so many questions, that I hardly know where to begin. Some of the answers I know. Some, I don't. And some, I can hazzard a pretty good guess. It is vital to our survival as a nation and as a world of nations that we start asking more questions and demanding answers from those who pretend to lead us. Are we sure of their motiviations or are we too lazy to care? Are we ignoring the nagging concerns that come to our minds in exchange for solidarity or political correctness? Are we afraid to ask questions becau